Skip to main content

TIMELESS MUSIC (PART 1)



Hello once again, I hope you have had (or having) a productive day. Once again, I want to thank you for finding the time to read my blog, it is an honour to know that there is someone out there who has the time to read what I have to say about certain matters. Please leave your comments on the comment box below for either contributions or criticism; both are welcome.

Today, I want to talk about TIMELESS MUSIC; when I say Timeless Music, I mean the sort of music that has lasted through the ages and have become classics even though we have not listened to all of them, we must have read about their impact on society and values. I am going to divide this topic into two parts. These parts are the Secular and the Gospel categories of music. When I talk about Secular music I am talking about the sort of music that does not have any spiritual connotations but the lyrics from this sort of music are timeless and are covered by various artists through the ages.

Before I start, I would like to tell you why I decided to write this topic. I am a big fan of TV shows like The Voice, American Idol, X- Factor etc. These shows feature ordinary but talented people singing songs that were song by popular musicians and I wonder “how has this particular song survived through the ages?” Songs like “Ain’t no Sunshine” by Bill Withers, “The Thrill is Gone” by BB King and so many others have been covered not just by ordinary folks on reality TV but also New generation artists.

As an avid music lover and songwriter, I have read and observed some factors that produce timeless music and I want to share those factors with you.

One of the factors that I think produces timeless music is the lyrics. The lyrics of a song determine the weight the song will carry on the human spirit. Whether we like it or not, we are influenced by the words we hear. This is not restricted to just women as we are meant to believe. The lyrics of a song contain promises, dreams, aspirations, failures and praises that are carefully constructed to create a good song. A secular song like “End of the Road” by Boyz II Men is one of my favourite songs because each verse tells the stories of their regrets and hopes towards their lovers. Songs like that are covered by other artists all over the world because the lyrics have made a lasting impression on the heart of people and have inspired people (like me) to be great lyricists. Other artists who I believe compose great/timeless lyrics are Lionel Richie, Phil Collins, Bill Withers, Ebenezer Obey and others.

Another factor that I believe creates Timeless Music is the instrumentation of the song they have written. The producers of these songs are very skilled in various instruments and thanks to the digital age, these producers are able to create memorable sound tracks that will live through the ages. For instance, Instrumental soundtracks for the song “Take me Home” by Phil Collins have been sampled by artists like Bone Thugs and Harmony who made their own version of the same song another example of a well known covered instrumental soundtrack is “Human Nature” by Michael Jackson which has been sampled by artists like Chris Brown in his famous song “She ain’t you”.

And the most important factor I believe creates Timeless Music is character. Character, is (I believe) the most important catalyst that creates Timeless Music. When I say character, I am talking about that personality that makes you who you are, and your ability to transmit that personality into your music. Artists like Lionel Richie gave the vibe of a soulful/emotional/vulnerable man. You could feel the sincerity in his voice and his lyrics. He brought that personality to songs like “Hello”, “Say You Say Me”, “You are the Sun” and to mention a few. Another artist who brought character into his songs is Michael Jackson. He brought every emotion you can think of into his songs ranging from happiness, sadness, frustration, anger, jealousy, lust and others. The songs where he emulated these emotions are seen in songs like “Earth Song”, “Give in to me”, “Human Nature”, “The Way You Make Me Feel”, “Dirty Diana” just to mention a chosen few.

Most people go into music because everyone is doing it not because they love it. For you to make timeless music you have to learn how to be open and when I mean open I mean you have to convey emotion. If you can’t, I suggest you take acting lessons. Also you have to be an avid reader; this is a skill that I must confess I am still practicing. Also, you have to be patient with yourself. Creating timeless music takes time and you should create time to think and get your lyrics together in a correct and concise format. Also, you have to have faith in yourself. You should not doubt your abilities as an artist. People may boo you and crush your hopes under their feet but as long as you are alive, you can always try again. The people who we see as stars today never gave up on their dreams, they were rejected and criticised because they did not do what everyone was doing in their day. If you doubt me, ask “The Beatles”; their story can be read on Wikipedia.

There is a saying in Nigeria, “Better soup na money kill am” in other words to make something good, you have to invest in it. It may not be money as the proverb states; it could be your time, energy and self education on the subject of timeless music. Keep the dream alive and don’t give up.

I look forward to reading your comments on the box below.
If you want to reach me on facebook, follow this link www.facebook.com/iexcel360
E-Mail: johnnyogah2000@gmail.com
So everyone, LIVE LONG AND EXCEL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCONDITIONAL

Hello folks, welcome to another time with yours truly. I want to write how grateful I am that you found the time of day to read my works. I am so grateful. Please take the time to check out the previous articles and let me know what you think at the comment section below. The topic I want to write on today looks like the title of an 80’s Rhythm and Blues song but today, I want to talk about something that is starting to become a foreign concept in our society today. That is, “unconditional attachments”. If you go through the previous links in this blog, you will find that I have written similar topics to this but I just want to reiterate on this subject matter. As usual, I like to be balanced in all my write ups but I want to talk about how the balance of unconditional attachments has affected our society negatively.

DOUBLESPEAKING

Hello once again folks and welcome to my blog. Today I want to write about something which will lead to something that will make that “something” meaningful. The “something” want to talk about is, double-speaking. This is a term I just leant in the book I am reading right now which is POINT MAN by Steve Farrar. According to how I understood it, double speaking is when we minimize the gravity of a negative word to make it more palatable to the ear. To make my point clear, here are a few examples. We call Adultery which is a “harsh” word and replace it with “Affair”, Fat as “Big Boned”, and Fornicating as “Testing the Waters”.

THE X-MAS FACTOR

Hello folks, hope you are having a wonderful day? Before I get to the topic at hand, I just want to say, SEASONS GREETINGS or MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Today, I want to talk about the X-Mas Factor. We are in a period where everyone wants to shorten long words to make things easier to pronounce but the sole purpose of this article is, there are some words that should not be just “pushed behind the queue” because doing that will make the meaning the word useless. Let us take a look at the word X-Mas. In mathematical terms, X symbolizes the “Unknown Variable” in an equation. Why should we replace Christ with X; as if we don’t know who and what we are celebrating? This is so annoying when I think about it.