Skip to main content

THE “SINK OR SWIM” SITUATION OF AN ARTIST

Hello people, welcome once again to my blog, today I want to talk about the “sink or swim” situation an artist faces when he/she performs on stage. This time, I am writing from my own personal experience as a music director in my local church here in Nigeria. I have two main reasons for writing this piece. The first is to help others to overcome the bane of every artist called “stage fright”. The second reason is more of a selfish one. I am writing it to remind myself why I do what I do and encourage myself to do it.

Alright, imagine you are in a vast ocean, and your boat has a slight crack at the bottom. In that situation, you can only sink and drown or hang on to the nearest driftwood you can find and swim till you find land. This is what happens every time an artist gets on stage to perform. Those who have made the decision to swim are those who are confident in their skills (driftwood) and swim across the ocean of onlookers who are looking up to you for something. On the other hand, those who sink are those who are overwhelmed by their situation and give in to stage fright.

It is undeniable, that those who suffer from stage fright are talented but they are yet to come to terms of their abilities as performers. You always hear complaints like “I am not like you”, “I can’t take this part” and so on which infuriates me. But I was once like that and I want to tell you how I got over it.

First of all, I had to come to terms with the fact that I am given the talent to sing which was really hard to accept. I wanted to sing but looking at those who were before me and seeing how they were able to manipulate that vocal chords with such dexterity really intimidated me. But that didn’t stop me from training the talent and harnessing it into a gift. If you look at the previous articles I wrote, you will find an article about talent. I said talent is a raw material but it needs to be refined to the point where it can be a gift not just to you but for others.

Secondly, I had to get rid of my inferiority complex. I never wanted to admit it but I sometimes disdain myself. I had a low opinion of myself so I could not really do something and I just thought that I should exist for the sake of existing. I had to give myself a boost of confidence by hanging out with the right friends and hanging out with people who saw the talent that I had and respected me. If you hang around scoffers, you will end up miserable because a word of encouragement can bring a depressed human being from the grave. Leave fake friends who try to discourage you from developing yourself. Refuse to hear comments like “na only you get talent?” or “you will never go anywhere in life”. Such people only live to make others miserable for their entertainment. LEAVE THEM.

Thirdly, I had to be humble. Humility is not the same as timidity. Humility says that “I know that I know this but I want to know more than I know now” while timidity says that “I know that I know this but I am afraid of knowing more”. Bring proud puts a huge barrier to your growth as an artist. If you stick to where you are and you feel that no one can touch you, you will be in for the shock of your life when you find some lowly individual that can move the heavens with his/her vocal chords more than you. There is physical growth and spiritual growth. The physical growth requires constant exercise and rehearsals to add to your treasure chest of skills that you have acquired. The spiritual aspects require what you feed your soul with. This includes books, magazines and other materials, just like the bible says “Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh”.


Finally, when I had undergone some training and I decided to make my first move as a lead singer, I panicked; I missed the key that I was supposed to be singing on. But my music director encouraged me to continue while they looked for the key that I was singing on. That encouragement helped me to sing like never before. I was stable and I let the lyrics flow through me to the congregation and that day, I got a standing ovation. I am not saying this to praise myself, but I had two people to thank for helping me that day they are God and my music director. I put my trust in him knowing he would give me the strength to swim through the piercing eyes of the audience and my music director who encouraged me even though I was a novice.

Before I give my keyboard a rest, I want to say this, if you are an artist that is suffering from stage fright, hang on to that driftwood (skill) as you swim across the stage. Have confidence in yourself and your training. Try your best and swim to the shore. If you have made errors, correct them and grow.

I look forward to reading your comments.

If you want to reach me on facebook, follow this link www.facebook.com/iexcel360

So everyone, LIVE LONG AND EXCEL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCONDITIONAL

Hello folks, welcome to another time with yours truly. I want to write how grateful I am that you found the time of day to read my works. I am so grateful. Please take the time to check out the previous articles and let me know what you think at the comment section below. The topic I want to write on today looks like the title of an 80’s Rhythm and Blues song but today, I want to talk about something that is starting to become a foreign concept in our society today. That is, “unconditional attachments”. If you go through the previous links in this blog, you will find that I have written similar topics to this but I just want to reiterate on this subject matter. As usual, I like to be balanced in all my write ups but I want to talk about how the balance of unconditional attachments has affected our society negatively.

DOUBLESPEAKING

Hello once again folks and welcome to my blog. Today I want to write about something which will lead to something that will make that “something” meaningful. The “something” want to talk about is, double-speaking. This is a term I just leant in the book I am reading right now which is POINT MAN by Steve Farrar. According to how I understood it, double speaking is when we minimize the gravity of a negative word to make it more palatable to the ear. To make my point clear, here are a few examples. We call Adultery which is a “harsh” word and replace it with “Affair”, Fat as “Big Boned”, and Fornicating as “Testing the Waters”.

THE X-MAS FACTOR

Hello folks, hope you are having a wonderful day? Before I get to the topic at hand, I just want to say, SEASONS GREETINGS or MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Today, I want to talk about the X-Mas Factor. We are in a period where everyone wants to shorten long words to make things easier to pronounce but the sole purpose of this article is, there are some words that should not be just “pushed behind the queue” because doing that will make the meaning the word useless. Let us take a look at the word X-Mas. In mathematical terms, X symbolizes the “Unknown Variable” in an equation. Why should we replace Christ with X; as if we don’t know who and what we are celebrating? This is so annoying when I think about it.