Skip to main content

RELAXATION: THINKING THINGS THROUGH



Hello folks, today I want to talk about relaxation and how it makes us think well as human beings. This article is not as a result from any science experiment because I am not a scientist, I am a Journalist and I want to share my little knowledge about the subject matter in my own perspective. I am writing this because I have read on the internet, the increasing rate of high blood pressure among youths who are willing to work hard to make it (which is a good trait) but they should learn to relax. If you are one of them, this article is for you.

I am sure you have heard this from doctors, counselors, therapists and the likes “just relax” that’s because it is a natural fixer for anxiety and fear. It helps us think things through when we are in a precarious situation.

In the military, humans are trained to stay calm and think by the drill sergeants giving the soldiers, intense training using different scenarios like battle planning, how to handle being captured and basically honing their survival instincts. They teach them to not just handle weapons, and fight but to form strategies before making a move and if the plan does not go well, they train them to stay calm and make split second decisions in dire situations.

The same goes for sports. It is OK to be pumped up and get the adrenaline flowing but getting riled up only makes it worse for anyone who does not know how to control the rush they feel whenever they step into their chosen arenas. Take for instance I am a fan of anime movies and one of my favourites is “The Fighting” (try to look it up). It is a cartoon flick on fighting and it gives the viewer the perspective of a boxer and how they strategise in intense split second situations before making their move and re-strategise when their plans back fire.

As human beings, we tend to get riled up when life strikes a deadly blow on us. It could be the loss of a friend, family member or the loss of a job. Those who cannot handle the pressure tend to commit suicide and believe me I have considered that at some point in my life when life sucker-punched me in the face. It was then I relied on my family, friends and relatives who God used to snap me back to reality and try again; it took a while but I finally learnt to relax and think before making any decisions. As time when on, I learnt to relax and strategise whenever I fell and try again.

I am going to give you a few tips on how you can relax. And believe me some of them may sound crazy, but believe me they work; my first suggestion is closing your eyes and lying down (strange huh?) I am sure you will say these are two different suggestions but they are related. Closing your eyes has a symbolic meaning to it. Shamans, Priests, Pastors often tell people to close their eyes because it shuts you out from the world. Closing your eyes lets you see what your normal eyes cannot see. Let me explain. There are situations where you feel you cannot escape like a maze but if you close your eyes, your heart rate will naturally slow down and it will alert your senses to what your most dominant sense (your eyes) cannot see like the sound of rushing water or the feeling of hollow soil which could be the covering of a trap door. Lying down and closing your eyes is also important when you want to make a long term plan on any subject matter.

Lying down tells your soul/inner self to take a time out and relax before taking any decisions, you cannot think clearly while standing up because your whole body will be on alert to your circumstances. Don’t be mistaken I like to know what goes on around me but sometimes you have to take a break and just lie down on the floor or a soft couching. Therapists have a soft couching which their patients lie down and talk to them. This break down emotionally built walls the patients have raised. Now when you combine closing your eyes and lying down, you are not only breaking down your emotional walls but you are also giving yourself insight into your predicaments and how you can solve them.

Another suggestion may be pushing it a little (for those who like to work), but it works. Take a vacation. I am not saying that you should spend ridiculous amounts of money on holiday spots like Maui, Jamaica, Miami or Obudu Cattle Ranch (Nigeria), if you are on a tight budget. But there are places you can go that can open your mind and see more clearly than ever before. If you are on a tight budget, you should stay at home, put on some soothing music, crack open a bottle of your favourite beverage and relax. It is the same as going to expensive relaxation spot but if you want to go there, save for it and give yourself a well deserved break.

Spend time with your family and friends. You have to take the sweet time to spend with your family and friends because like my mother always says “no one is an island”. When you are alone, you are mounting unwanted pressure on yourself and your ability to think will be hampered. When you relax and laugh with friends, you are relieving yourself of some of the burden. Spending time with your family also helps you relax because it gives you a better reason to live and love. Have a guy’s night out or a girl’s night out, but take friends that can help you relax not those that will tell you how screwed you are and leave you hanging. Life may throw punches at you but a smile from your wife, girlfriend or children, releases the pressure from your heart.

Before I leave I want to drop this last bomb. One sure way to help you relax is for you to make up your mind not to worry about anything. Christians are advised not to worry because we know the consequences of worry. The bible says “don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done” (Philippians 4:6). Make up your mind to stay calm at all times and all will be well.

I look forward to reading your comments.
If you want to reach me on facebook, follow this link www.facebook.com/iexcel360
E-Mail: johnnyogah2000@gmail.com
So everyone, LIVE LONG AND EXCEL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCONDITIONAL

Hello folks, welcome to another time with yours truly. I want to write how grateful I am that you found the time of day to read my works. I am so grateful. Please take the time to check out the previous articles and let me know what you think at the comment section below. The topic I want to write on today looks like the title of an 80’s Rhythm and Blues song but today, I want to talk about something that is starting to become a foreign concept in our society today. That is, “unconditional attachments”. If you go through the previous links in this blog, you will find that I have written similar topics to this but I just want to reiterate on this subject matter. As usual, I like to be balanced in all my write ups but I want to talk about how the balance of unconditional attachments has affected our society negatively.

DOUBLESPEAKING

Hello once again folks and welcome to my blog. Today I want to write about something which will lead to something that will make that “something” meaningful. The “something” want to talk about is, double-speaking. This is a term I just leant in the book I am reading right now which is POINT MAN by Steve Farrar. According to how I understood it, double speaking is when we minimize the gravity of a negative word to make it more palatable to the ear. To make my point clear, here are a few examples. We call Adultery which is a “harsh” word and replace it with “Affair”, Fat as “Big Boned”, and Fornicating as “Testing the Waters”.

THE X-MAS FACTOR

Hello folks, hope you are having a wonderful day? Before I get to the topic at hand, I just want to say, SEASONS GREETINGS or MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Today, I want to talk about the X-Mas Factor. We are in a period where everyone wants to shorten long words to make things easier to pronounce but the sole purpose of this article is, there are some words that should not be just “pushed behind the queue” because doing that will make the meaning the word useless. Let us take a look at the word X-Mas. In mathematical terms, X symbolizes the “Unknown Variable” in an equation. Why should we replace Christ with X; as if we don’t know who and what we are celebrating? This is so annoying when I think about it.