Skip to main content

HARNESSING THE POWER OF YOUR SOUL THROUGH MUSIC

Hello people, I am back again with another one of my crazy theories about life. In this case, I want to write about how to harness your soul when it comes to music. Like I always say this is not a real scientific research that I conducted but it is something I have observed. We have heard hits like “Hello” by Adele, “Hello” by Lionel Richie, “Flashlight” by Jessie J, “All of Me” by John Legend and so many others. I believe these people tapped into their souls to write such ground breaking, soul reviving lyrics. This article states my reason for this assumption.


William Shakespeare (God bless his soul) in the novel “Twelfth Night” said that “if Music is the food of love, play on”. Music when played from the soul can have therapeutic effects on any man. Even tyrants and sociopaths from the movies listen to certain genres of music to give them inspiration or calm them down. Let us get biblical here. 1Samuel 16:17-23, tells the story of how King Saul was possessed by an evil spirit and his advisers recommended that they should look for someone who was skilful in music and as the story goes, David, on ordinary shepherd was chosen. He played the harp skilfully and from his inner being because he was said to be a man after God’s heart and as Christians we have read that God is the personification of love. Every time the king had one of his “episodes”, David played the harp and it calmed the raging storm in King Saul’s heart.

These days, I am ashamed to say, that there are songs that are composed and sung without any feeling in them. As human beings we are more than just flesh and blood. We have a soul that needs to be fed and nurtured. What you listen to can make or mar your soul. And what you write from your soul can affect others. Take for instance, songs like “Unbreak my Heart” by Toni Braxton, is a song of heartbreak, although she is not the writer of that song, she sang with so much passion which has an effect on someone who has just gotten the bad end of a breakup or who have lost someone. It is a song about the utter hopelessness of an individual without her partner and people especially girls (not trying to sound like a jerk), binge drink to this song. Others include “Bleeding Love” by Leona Lewis, “Can you stop the rain” by Peabo Bryson.

When I hear fast paced songs which have little lyrical significance, it sickens my soul and I lose concentration. Like I said it is what you feed your soul that defines you and what you write from your soul that affects others. People, who write “whack” songs, are people who may have written songs under some ludicrous circumstances like, under the influence of recreational drugs like (Marijuana, cocaine and so on). Songs like that could have commercial value for the now but in the future, they lose their substance. If you ask anyone what inspired them to write these songs, they will give you some story like “I was in the studio listening to a beat and all of a sudden, I stared scribbling lyrics”. Wiz Kid (Nigerian Artist) in a freestyle video clip, mentioned how he spends his time in the studio, he mentioned that he “smokes weed”. Marijuana being a hallucinogenic brings up songs like “Expensive Sh*T” which I personally detest. Songs like “Time na Money” by Mike Okri is being sung up till tomorrow.

As a writer, I would recommend that you tap into your inner being to find inspiration for whatever you want to write on whether it is a book, song or poems. The greatest poems come from someone who has experienced life and the experiences are etched into their souls. Like every dam, it needs an outlet. Singing and writing your experiences can make for great materials when used. Songs like “My Destiny” by Lionel Richie is one of the great love songs which I think is based on his love for his wife. Others like Michael Jackson’s “Childhood” tells the story of how the artist grew up and how we should not judge him for his seemingly crazy behaviour like building an amusement park in his house.

I am sure you might be asking “how can I tap into my soul to write good and meaningful lyrics?” Well here is the first step; you have to have a passion for writing songs and singing. Secondly, you have to admit that you are more than flesh and blood; that you are a spirit, you have a soul and you live inside a body. If you are an atheist, I am afraid this article is not for you. You have to believe there is more to me than me. Thirdly, do not be afraid to unleash your hidden man on your Pen, Paper or Keyboard. You might be saying, I am not a writer. If you know who I am, you will not believe it is me writing this article. I had to unleash myself by deciding to share what I have within me. Break out of your comfort zone and make the decision to write. The next step is reading; read other books to know how it is done. You can read to increase your arsenal of words you want to use to express yourself. If you can afford it, get a thesaurus dictionary. Eminem has one as well as a rhyming dictionary to get the right rhyming words for your songs. Finally, get a role model for your passion. I was watching an anime series “History’s Strongest Disciple” and one of the characters said that “every habit or art starts by imitation”. You cannot be original if you have not had experience with that art of song writing and singing. I am not saying you should totally imitate the role model but let he or she be the catalyst that will jump start you in your quest for your own style of song writing and singing.

As you can see, you don’t need to indulge yourself in ridiculous acts like the intake of recreational drugs to find inspiration. You have to only look within you to find what you are looking for.

I will love to read your comments for this piece. So live long and excel.


I look forward to reading your comments.
If you want to reach me on facebook, follow this linkwww.facebook.com/iexcel360
E-Mail: johnnyogah2000@gmail.com

So everyone, LIVE LONG AND EXCEL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCONDITIONAL

Hello folks, welcome to another time with yours truly. I want to write how grateful I am that you found the time of day to read my works. I am so grateful. Please take the time to check out the previous articles and let me know what you think at the comment section below. The topic I want to write on today looks like the title of an 80’s Rhythm and Blues song but today, I want to talk about something that is starting to become a foreign concept in our society today. That is, “unconditional attachments”. If you go through the previous links in this blog, you will find that I have written similar topics to this but I just want to reiterate on this subject matter. As usual, I like to be balanced in all my write ups but I want to talk about how the balance of unconditional attachments has affected our society negatively.

DOUBLESPEAKING

Hello once again folks and welcome to my blog. Today I want to write about something which will lead to something that will make that “something” meaningful. The “something” want to talk about is, double-speaking. This is a term I just leant in the book I am reading right now which is POINT MAN by Steve Farrar. According to how I understood it, double speaking is when we minimize the gravity of a negative word to make it more palatable to the ear. To make my point clear, here are a few examples. We call Adultery which is a “harsh” word and replace it with “Affair”, Fat as “Big Boned”, and Fornicating as “Testing the Waters”.

THE X-MAS FACTOR

Hello folks, hope you are having a wonderful day? Before I get to the topic at hand, I just want to say, SEASONS GREETINGS or MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Today, I want to talk about the X-Mas Factor. We are in a period where everyone wants to shorten long words to make things easier to pronounce but the sole purpose of this article is, there are some words that should not be just “pushed behind the queue” because doing that will make the meaning the word useless. Let us take a look at the word X-Mas. In mathematical terms, X symbolizes the “Unknown Variable” in an equation. Why should we replace Christ with X; as if we don’t know who and what we are celebrating? This is so annoying when I think about it.