Skip to main content

WHAT MAKES A FATHER



Hello once again, sorry about being late for this Father’s day piece but I want to write something about this special day. I want to dedicate this piece to my father. So many people are not fortunate to have a father due to circumstances beyond their control; for that I offer my condolences. Last year, I wrote a piece concerning Father’s Day titled, Evolution from Boyhood to Manhood. Check it out.


A father is more than just a sperm donor, he is more than just a man with swag, he is more than just a figure head of the family, he is more than a provider, and he is generally the hero of the house. A father is a wise man who has gone through all the rigours of life and shares his experiences with his children. Rather than allow his children experience his mistakes, he warns them to avoid them.

A father may seem like a wicked dictator during your childhood and teenage years and will definitely make some mistakes along the way but let me ask you something. When you were growing up, what did you know about the outside world? A Godly father would tell you what to expect and how to circumvent or go through the pitfalls of life. An ungodly father would encourage his children to “see for themselves” what it is like out there and would probably abuse his children to show them who the boss of the house is.

The fact of the matter is, there are sperm donors and there are fathers. Sperm donors are the ones that abuse their children, abuse their wives, neglect their fatherly duties and expect respect from their children when they grow up (what a laugh). These sperm donors are so lazy they would ask the wife and children to do all the financial provision in the household that is why in Nigeria especially, you will find young boys and girls who are sent by their parents to hawk goods on the streets. These children lack the basic education they need. They force their children to go into immoral acts like child prostitution in public transportation parks and if they don’t sell all their wares or bring in their allotted dues they receive harsh punishments from the parents. The parents use excuses like “do you know what I went through when I married your mother?”, or my all time favourite excuse “I am teaching them how to survive”. These species of fathers don’t know that you will reap what you sow; you can’t sow hate and expect to reap love; you can’t sow indifference and reap full attention. They are people out there who are praying to find someone to hold as their child and there are poor people who will provide the best for their children and won’t use their social status as an excuse.

The bible says (paraphrasing) “Teach a child the way to live and he/he is will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6). I am so angry at sperm donors because they neglect their responsibilities as teachers to their children. I believe the reason they do this is because they are still boys. Boys are the only ones who we as adult cannot expect to take on the responsibilities of a father. A boy would want to “explore his options”; he would want to explore what life has to offer before thinking of being “tied down” with the responsibilities of fatherhood.

Now to the crux of this article what makes a father, well like I said earlier in this article, a father is someone who loves and yet will discipline you when needed. Like it or not, we are all stubborn creatures; when we were children, we would do things that will annoy our parents and would disobey them. The only way to save us from ourselves was to use the “rod of correction” hence the saying if you spare the rod, you will spoil the child. I am a better man today because my father used the rod of correction on me when I did something wrong; he taught me how to clean up my messes both literally and figuratively; he taught me how to respect women and the dangers of being toying with a woman’s heart. I leant this in the way he treated my mother. My father did and he is still doing all he can to give us (his children), sound education and encouraging us to break the social norm and be the best in whatever we set our sights on. He taught me how to fight and when to fight. He told me something when I was young, he said “Go to school and earn a degree. With a degree you will be able to hold your head in the society and not put down. You are intelligent but education will take you far”. The sperm donors will say stuff like “why do you need school? Use what you have to get what you want”. This may be true but why expose your children to society without sufficient ammunition? My family is not the richest in Nigeria but my father sacrificed for me. He sees the bigger picture beyond my talent and encourages me to press on and keep the dream alive.

To the upcoming fathers reading this article, please note that not all fathers are perfect; I know mine isn’t. He made mistakes but he learnt from them and he is still learning. The best you can do is seeking counsel from your father to avoid the pitfalls he made with you. I have to admit my father sometimes makes me so angry but hey that is just the way it is.

For these of you who have real fathers and sperm donors, I leave you with this piece of advice; LOVE THEM BOTH. It is not easy being a father. You were born into this world to fulfil one purpose or the other. Do not allow the trauma of childhood get in the way of the good you can do to your generation. No one is perfect. I am sure you might say that I do not know what it means to have a bad father; well guess what, I don’t. But my father made a lot of mistakes and I did not let it get in my way. Learn to forgive and carve out your own path. Everyone’s destiny is different. Don’t be drawn into the “Like father, like son” stereotype that is being perpetuated in the society today. I take the good qualities in my father, and leave the bad ones. You should do the same. Even sperm donors have their good qualities. Find them and use them.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY

Thanks for reading...

I look forward to reading your comments on the box below.
If you want to reach me on facebook, follow this link www.facebook.com/iexcel360
E-Mail: johnnyogah2000@gmail.com
So everyone, LIVE LONG AND EXCEL.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCONDITIONAL

Hello folks, welcome to another time with yours truly. I want to write how grateful I am that you found the time of day to read my works. I am so grateful. Please take the time to check out the previous articles and let me know what you think at the comment section below. The topic I want to write on today looks like the title of an 80’s Rhythm and Blues song but today, I want to talk about something that is starting to become a foreign concept in our society today. That is, “unconditional attachments”. If you go through the previous links in this blog, you will find that I have written similar topics to this but I just want to reiterate on this subject matter. As usual, I like to be balanced in all my write ups but I want to talk about how the balance of unconditional attachments has affected our society negatively.

DOUBLESPEAKING

Hello once again folks and welcome to my blog. Today I want to write about something which will lead to something that will make that “something” meaningful. The “something” want to talk about is, double-speaking. This is a term I just leant in the book I am reading right now which is POINT MAN by Steve Farrar. According to how I understood it, double speaking is when we minimize the gravity of a negative word to make it more palatable to the ear. To make my point clear, here are a few examples. We call Adultery which is a “harsh” word and replace it with “Affair”, Fat as “Big Boned”, and Fornicating as “Testing the Waters”.

THE X-MAS FACTOR

Hello folks, hope you are having a wonderful day? Before I get to the topic at hand, I just want to say, SEASONS GREETINGS or MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Today, I want to talk about the X-Mas Factor. We are in a period where everyone wants to shorten long words to make things easier to pronounce but the sole purpose of this article is, there are some words that should not be just “pushed behind the queue” because doing that will make the meaning the word useless. Let us take a look at the word X-Mas. In mathematical terms, X symbolizes the “Unknown Variable” in an equation. Why should we replace Christ with X; as if we don’t know who and what we are celebrating? This is so annoying when I think about it.