Skip to main content

THE THIN LINE BETWEEN JEALOUSY AND RESENTMENT (THE “THIN LINE” SERIES)

Hello once again, today I want to discuss  a trend that is as old as the creation of man which is jealousy and how it has been mistaken for resentment. The topic of jealousy takes various shades and colours from the jealousy of a lover, the jealousy of a specific gift to the jealousy of a person’s success. The reason why I am writing this is to tell you that being jealous is ok, but don’t let it grow into resentment. I know you might say “hey aren’t those the same?” but they are totally different things and in this piece, I will tell you the difference between the two.

My definition of Jealousy is an advanced form of admiration for someone when they do something or perform a feat which you are unable to do. For instance let us take two male singers one is a high pitch singer who can even use the “whistle” technique of singing and the other singer who has a baritone voice capable of shaking the bones of any listener. The high pitched singer could be jealous because he does not have the “mojo” of the baritone singer and vice versa. But they have one thing in common they are talented in their fields and try to complement each other by singing duets and strengthening their weaknesses. From this example, the two characters are jealous of their skills but they find common ground and work together. This then graduates from jealousy to mutual respect.

Resentment on the other hand is when you hate someone for something you do not have and you hate them so much, you wish they would just not exist. Being resentful about someone can also be described as “jealousy on steroids”. Let us take the same scenario I presented in the previous paragraph. Only this time, the baritone singer is so jealous to the point where he mixes a laxative in the other singer’s drink and during his performance, the high pitch singer begins to have a running stomach before the climax of his performance and makes a comedic exit from the stage and goes straight to the toilet. The baritone singer does this because he does not have the same skill and charisma of the high pitched singer and by so doing resents him.

From the definitions and examples that I wrote above, I am sure you are getting a clearer picture on what I want to discuss today. The concept of jealousy is a default emotion that exists in every human despite your race or ethnicity. Anyone that says that they have not felt jealous in their life time is a big-fat-liar. And if you want to dispute with me, please leave your comment on the box below and your e-mail address and I will personally prove to you that at one point in your life, you were jealous. But guess what, it is ok and normal to be jealous of your colleague or your friend, do you know why? Because you are challenging yourself to do something better and that friend (if he/she is a good one), will gladly give you some tips on how you can achieve what you want.

There are instances where jealousy can graduate to resentment. This happens when you are not relating well with your friends and you are what our young ones call a ‘fre-nemy’ or ‘Hater’. These people may hold some grudge against you and will use that to try and bring you down or they just downright hate you for being you. If you make a small mistake, they will blow it out of proportion by over-emphasising the mistake to inflict psychological damage on you. For instance, in our present age of the internet, we see resentment plastered on our faces every time we visit the latest gossip sites in the form of love triangles (or decagons in most cases), artists fighting over rights to a song and someone opening someone else’s garbage to discredit someone because that person is better than the perpetrator this is also seen in our academic system especially high school in form of cyber bullying. THIS IS CRAZY.

Resentment is a slow killer of character. Someone who is always resentful of other people or another person and his accomplishments will do anything to bring that person down to make him feel better about him/her. We hear comments like “na only him get car?” or “na only him dey for dis world?” they bitch about the success of the people around them and the end result is always deadly. In some cases the resent-er will go as far as hiring assassins or thugs to molest or kill the resent-ee to break his or her spirit. The resent-ee has done nothing wrong to the resent-er but just because the resent-ee is successful or happy the resent-ee has committed an “offence” which is just plain stupid. When you continue with your resentment, you will indulge in various types of vices like armed robbery, home invasion and murder because you think that God and the universe are unfair to you. Please let me burst your bubble. You are not the only one in this world. The difference between you and him is his determination to be more than what he is today. Do you want more out of life? Do you want to expand your present circle? Then look for something that you always wanted to and do it. Did you want to sing? Then humble yourself and learn. The internet is full of tutorials on voice training; song writing and training on any instrument you want to set your heart to learn. If you don’t have the time to learn them, keep the idea fresh in your mind, or write it down in a diary as a part of your to-do list.

A person who has a skill-set that you don’t have is not an alien from outer space. That person went through training and busted his or her ass to get to the level she wanted to be. When I started voice training, during my earlier years, I was jealous of my music director but that did not make me to resent him. I was bold enough to approach him for lectures and practical training on how to become a better singer and thanks to him and the internet I have reached a level where I can stand shoulder to shoulder with him on stage. Need I remind you that this took years to achieve this feat? I am still learning how I can become a better singer than I am presently. Because like my wise father always says, NEVER STOP READING AND NEVER STOP GROWING.

Your friend may be a skilled actor and you cannot interpret your lines like he does. That does not mean you are a dummy. As long as you are alive you can learn to be or better than your friend. Just take that extra step and practice. Go to art school, read books, go to the internet, research and “bust your chops” until you achieve your dream. I’ll reveal a secret to you that you may not know. Those with raw talent can only stop at a particular level in life. A talented singer can only tap into certain areas of music but someone who is determined to become a singer and goes through rigorous training will always outshine the talented one. There is no need to resent anyone for what you don’t have. If you want something, don’t moan like a bitch about it, work hard and train till you get the desired result.

Before I give my keyboard a rest I want to conclude with this. It is ok to be jealous. See it as a means to give some meaning to your life. If you are the type that sits on his/her ass everyday and complain, you are the resentful type and guess what, you will end up gathering unnecessary cholesterol until you get a heart attack at a young age. Please remember that, God always has the back of anyone who goes through life without resenting anybody because in his word, he says, “he resists/opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6).  Do something with your life to give your existence some meaning and you will not be resentful and if you are the jealous type, find out how you can become a better person for yourself before you cross the line from jealousy to resentment. THANK YOU.

SO, ENJOY YOUR LIFE AND EXCEL!

You can reach me on my facebook page www.facebook.com/iexcel360
E-mail: johnnyogah2000@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNCONDITIONAL

Hello folks, welcome to another time with yours truly. I want to write how grateful I am that you found the time of day to read my works. I am so grateful. Please take the time to check out the previous articles and let me know what you think at the comment section below. The topic I want to write on today looks like the title of an 80’s Rhythm and Blues song but today, I want to talk about something that is starting to become a foreign concept in our society today. That is, “unconditional attachments”. If you go through the previous links in this blog, you will find that I have written similar topics to this but I just want to reiterate on this subject matter. As usual, I like to be balanced in all my write ups but I want to talk about how the balance of unconditional attachments has affected our society negatively.

DOUBLESPEAKING

Hello once again folks and welcome to my blog. Today I want to write about something which will lead to something that will make that “something” meaningful. The “something” want to talk about is, double-speaking. This is a term I just leant in the book I am reading right now which is POINT MAN by Steve Farrar. According to how I understood it, double speaking is when we minimize the gravity of a negative word to make it more palatable to the ear. To make my point clear, here are a few examples. We call Adultery which is a “harsh” word and replace it with “Affair”, Fat as “Big Boned”, and Fornicating as “Testing the Waters”.

THE X-MAS FACTOR

Hello folks, hope you are having a wonderful day? Before I get to the topic at hand, I just want to say, SEASONS GREETINGS or MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Today, I want to talk about the X-Mas Factor. We are in a period where everyone wants to shorten long words to make things easier to pronounce but the sole purpose of this article is, there are some words that should not be just “pushed behind the queue” because doing that will make the meaning the word useless. Let us take a look at the word X-Mas. In mathematical terms, X symbolizes the “Unknown Variable” in an equation. Why should we replace Christ with X; as if we don’t know who and what we are celebrating? This is so annoying when I think about it.